1.21.2007

Feeling the Paint



My parents were visiting recently, so with them I took my 3rd visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I am constantly impressed with many of the 19th-20th Century American and European painters, primarily Sargent and the great painterly portrait artists. I tried my hand at some oil painting in college, but didn't get far. About a year ago, I started up again and feel some slow growth. I will work more on it once REJECTS is finished, but for now, I'm just analyzing what I've done and what I have to work on. It's so fun to see paint move so well. Sebastian KrΓΌger (link on the right) is such an all-star at handling his medium with control and chaos working well together, and he inspires me all the time, yet I have to be careful.. I don't want to emulate his work, rather I'd like to grow by learning basics and getting better, while developing my own voice.

Feedback helps me grow, so hit me with some harsh crits, if you want.


6 comments:

Ryan Wood said...

That Kennedy painting is terrific! Great caricature & execution. The lil' Marilyn doll is hilarious! Thanks for showing the different stages.

SEILER said...

I agree, the Kennedy painting is great Joe, you should finish it!

chris chUa! said...

looks great!! maybe on the kramer one, downplay some of the highlights on his shirt/the white shirt to keep the focus point on his face. and maybe brighten up his eyes a tad/maybe a subtle eye reflection?

Aaronphilby said...

I love the Kennedy as an illustration. I'm really craving some brushstrokes in his face. Somethin about that Kramer ain't right. I understand it's just a study, but I think he looks kind of like a wax version of himself.

Steve Hearn said...

I concurr, great work Joe! Really looking forward to seeing more oil work from you.

patrick mate said...

I agree,those paintings are terrific Joe and like Jason said you should finish the Kennedy painting if you haven't already done it.