1.14.2009

Sketch Infectus


Over the last seven years or so, I've been stashing scrap paper with doodles, keeping my sketchbooks hidden under the bed, and scanning artwork and forgetting about it. I decided that 2009 was the year that I dusted it all off and shared it with others. A good friend of mine recently said "...in a sketch you see the hand of the master..." --not that I consider myself a master-- but it is quite true that sketches inspire. The loose, confident secure mindset of trying to teach yourself something, all alone, in a book that you never intended to show off, is powerful and wonderful.

I realized for years that nearly every book I purchased and every inspiration I had, came from the sketches and sketchbooks of other artists. One of my good friends, Stephen Silver, has been a big inspiration and motivator for me over the last few years. How? His sketches. His doodles. His scratchy sketchbooks.

Well, after talking to many peers and inspiring artists, I've captured dozens of quotes and tips and supplied them along side a dense collection of drawings and doodles. This will most likely be the most art-heavy little book you've ever seen, and I think it looks pretty snazzy. You will be able to get it over at Art Squared Books.com, pre-orders coming up next week (with a special incentive for those who order early!).

Here are some previews. I'm really excited about this book, and I hope it continues to inspire someone out there, as much as other artists have (and continue to) inspire me:





* More to come soon...
.

12 comments:

m3ng said...

Let us know as soon as we can pre-order! I look forward to seeing it!

Sketches really do inspire...

Derek Edwards said...

cant wait to get my hands on it. Long live Art Squared!

ramanjit said...

hi sir,
"...in a sketch you see the hand of the master..." this is so true the second page realy inspire me alot.that every body should keep sketching dont stop your hand no one know when a master piece born.best of luck for the book.
take care!!!

Anonymous said...

Soooooo looking forward to this!

Anonymous said...

wow i am soooo buying that :D

bert5693 said...

cant wait!

Amok said...

Exciting stuff! Cant wait to get my mitts on this. Good stuff Joe, as always.

Gabriel Hunt said...

I think the best part of this book is the sketch you did of me.
It really makes the $37.65 price tag on this thing really worth it!

(thanks for the sneak peak Joe)

Joe Bluhm said...

Haha, you're such a fool, Gabe. It's not $37.65...

It's $37,650.95 (the .95 makes it feel cheaper). ;)

Terri Kae said...

The advice is what's most appealing to me. I can look at sketchbook after sketchbook; but it makes it SO much better when there are small descriptions about what the artist was thinking.. Or how they think when they draw. What they observe, how they do it. That's what's more fascinating to me. I hope there's a good number of that in the book :)

Brijesh Rajput said...

Realy nice work.

Gabriel Hunt said...

"Haha, you're such a fool, Gabe. It's not $37.65...

It's $37,650.95 (the .95 makes it feel cheaper). ;)"

Oh, then thanks for the discount Joe. I'll get you something nice with that .30 cents.

How bout a breath mint?